When it comes to food, who else to nag 24*7 other than Super-Mom??
In our family, the knowledge of food, the skills required, and the little tricks get passed on from generation to generation… Grandmom -> then Mom -> now supposedly, it’s my turn to learn it all up.
The three dishes I tried to master in the past couple of months- Mocha’r chop, Doi Mach and Patisapta (dessert is always my favourite! ).
- 500gm Mocha/ Banana Flower
- 2 Potato
- 1 Green Chilly
- 50 gm Peanuts
- 20 gm Raisin
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 2 Cups Besan
- Salt to taste
- A pinch of Sugar
- A pinch of Baking soda
- Boil the potatoes and then mash them. Cut the banana flower into thin strips and boil in water. Strain it, and keep the mocha aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Then add green chilly, peanuts and raisin. Stir it.
- Add mocha with all the spices. Fry it. Cook till you get a dry mixture.
- Make small balls of the mashed potatoes.
- Flatten the mashed potato between your palm then add mocha. Cover it.
- Make a batter with besan, baking soda, salt and water.
- Heat oil in pan and dip the chop in the batter. Deep fry it. Fry till both sides are golden brown.
- Serve hot with salad.
- 5-6 medium large rohu fish/bhetki
- salt to taste
- 2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2-3 medium sized onions
- 3-4 pods garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger paste
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 4 green chilies
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 10 raisins
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 3 green cardamom
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Take the slices of fish and wash them thoroughly. Salt them and rub 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder. Set aside for 10 minutes. Cut Onions into big slices. Cut the garlic pods into pieces.
- On a hot skillet, heat 2 table spoons of oil. Add the fish pieces and fry well. Take the fish out and set aside.
- In the remaining oil fry the onion garlic and ginger for 2-3 minutes with 2 green chilies. Take them out. Cool them for a minute or so. Put the fried onion, garlic, ginger chilies back into a mixer and grind it with 2 table spoons of yogurt.
- Heat remaining oil in the skillet. Add raisins and bay leaf. Then add cinnamon, cloves and cardamom in the hot oil. Let it splutter, add the ground paste of onion, garlic, ginger and chilies. Stir it for 2-3 minutes. If it dries up may add a sprinkle of water. Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon of cumin powder and 1 teaspoon of coriander powder. Keep stirring for 3 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of water and mix well. Let it simmer. Add salt to taste, sugar and the remaining 2 chilies. After it comes to a boil, add fish pieces and cover on medium heat. Keep cooking till the fish gets cooked through. Adjust salt and sugar according to taste.
- Serve hot with rice.