Easy & Yummy Tomato Pulav
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2-3 tomatoes (tomato puree )
- 2 onions (sliced)
- 2tbsp oil
- 3 cups hot water
- ½ tsp sugar
- 10-15 garlic pods
- 1 ginger (scrapped and cleaned)
- 4 green chillies
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinammon (dal chini)
- 2 bay leaf (tamalpatra)
- 2 cardamon (elaichi)
- Salt to taste
Grind the garlic pods, the ginger and the green chillies together on the mixer till a fine paste is prepared. Keep aside.
Clean the rice, wash it for a couple of times in clean water and keep it aside for half and hour after straining the water.
PREPARE TOMATO PUREE:
Boil tomatoes in water for around 5mins, till it softens. Strain the water, remove the seeds and grind on mixer till a thick puree is obtained.
METHOD TO PREPARE:
- Add oil to the kadhai (vessel of preparation) and let it warm up for some time.
- At the same time, keep water for boiling in a separate container.
- After some time, add the cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf and cardamom and stir for a while.
- Add the sliced onions and stir for some time, till it becomes a brownish color.
- Add the rice and mix well.
- Add the masala prepared above (garlic, ginger, green chillies).
- Add the hot water and mix all ingredients well.
- Stir for a while and add the prepared tomato puree.
- Add sugar, and salt to taste.
- Mix well and stir till the water evaporates.
- Steaming hot tomato pulav is ready to be served.
- If preparing in the cooker, keep for only 1 whistle as more the heat, more the basmati softens and becomes soggy.
- If preparing in the oven, keep the timer for 8-10mins (same as veg. pulav)
- For garnishing, you can add cashew nuts, raisins and coriander
- Can also be served with curd or raita.