One of the most balanced and wholesome meal that can be made easy, by oneone is perhaps Khichdi or what the bengalees call Kichuri.
It is nothing but a mixed preparation of rice and pulse, sometimes with added vegetable. The process is quite simple and anyone can cook it. The standard process is as follows:-
Spices- Cardamom and Clove ( 2-3 each)
Cinnamon (1 medium stick)
Coriander and cumin seeds ( half tea-spoon)
Salt to taste
Cereals- Rice ( Basmati or regular)
Pulse ( Lentils or moong)
Vegetables – Any seasonal vegetable like Cauliflower, Carrots, Beans, Peas etc
1. Roast the pulse till light brown.
2. In a fresh pan, add 2 tablespoon of oil/ghee and add the cumin/coriander seeds along with the garam masalas and bay leaf.
3.Add the rice and roasted pulse is it and sautÃ© with turmeric and chilli powder. Add salt.
4. In another pan fry the vegetables along with potato, with a pinch of salt, till light brown.
5. Now take a pot and heat water (3:1 ratio with the rice/pulse mixture).
6. In the boiling water add the entire mixture and after a while add the fried veggies.
7. Mix well and bring it to boil.
Serve Hot with French fries/pickles/ fried fish/ omelette.